• A beautiful medieval city is the nearest village to the mill (about 4 km). Walking through the streets of Loro Ciuffenna, you will enjoy the traditional flavors. You will find numerous cafes, restaurants, grocery shops, supermarkets, banks and pharmacies. Loro Ciuffenna was the birthplace of the painter/sculptor Venturino Venturi (1918-2002), his works can be admired in the museum dedicated on the first floor of the municipal building. We recommend visiting the district Fondaccio, the old mill and the Romanesque church of San Piero a Gropina. You can find at the Cassia Vetus Osteria Gelateria (5-minute car drive) one of the best ice cream made with natural ingredients, not to be missed!


Masaccio’s hometown. His house, now a museum, situated in Corso Italia 83, showcases numerous exhibitions of modern and contemporary art.

Monument and museums:

• Palazzo d' Arnolfo (The Arnolfo Palace), the seat of the municipality. You can admire the works of Luca and Andrea della Robbia.

• Pieve Romanica of San Giovanni Battista

• Museum of the Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie: of particular importance to the Annunciation "Da Montecarlo" by Beato Angelico.


• Sacred Art Museum of the Collegiata di San Lorenzo, I. Via  Del Lungo 8  For booking please call the number 339 3512801. In the museum there is an interesting collection of works, sculptures, paintings, ornaments and the “Chapel of the holy milk” (“Cappella del Sacro Latte”), a glazed terracotta made by Andrea della Robbia (1435-1525) dating from the end of the XV century.

• Paleontological Museum, Via Poggio Bracciolini 36 , telephone number 055 981227. The museum contains about 1600 pieces including plant fossils and animal fossils and fragments of rocks coming almost exclusively from the upper Valdarno, aged between the late Pliocene and early Pleistocene eras.

• Ernesto Galeffi’s Museum, Via A. Burzagli 47 , telephone number 055 980730. Visits are possible by reservation only. The museum houses a collection of about 2000 graphics, 50 sculptures and some paintings by the artist from Montevarchi Ernesto Galeffi (1917-1986).


• Romanesque Parish Church Saint John the Baptist in Galatrona.

• Galatrona Tower

OPENING from April to October

every Saturday afternoon from 15.00 to 19.00

every Sunday from 10.00 to 12.00 and from 15.00 to 19.00 Info: "Friends of the Tower " phone 055 / 9707336 - mob. 333/3768631

• The Tower of Galatrona dominates the landscape of its size and the ridge of the Valdarno in the Chianti hills. This is what remains of one of the most important castles of Valdambra, placed in a strategic position with respect to the valley below. Near Mercatale there was in fact a branch of the Via Cassia which connected Rome to Florence. The top of the hill was certainly home of the oldest settlements, Galatrona the same name, formerly Canastruna, it would be of Etruscan origin while some remains of walls around the building and ceramic findings indicate the presence of a late Roman appropriation. The story of Galatronais related, throughout the Middle Ages and until the end of thirteenth century to the quarrels between Florence and Arezzo first and then between Florence and Siena, as it was for all the Valdambra. It is only in 1335 that the Florentines occupied the castle of Galatrona. By the act of submission to Florence there were two towers: the currently visible "new" and the "old" which has now disappeared. From land records of the early years of the fifteenth century it seems that the castle of Galatrona housed a fortified village, composed by twenty small houses, occupied almost exclusively by farmers and smallholders. In the sixteenth century Galatrona together with the whole Valdambra was involved in the struggle faced by the Medici family. Allies of Charles V, against Siena and the King of France, the victory of the imperial decreed the end of the Republic of Siena which saw the shift of their territories under the Florentine dominion. Since then Galatrona depended territorially from Bucine.


• Roseto Botanico “Carla Fineschi”
• Botanical Rose Garden “Carla Fineschi”. The rose garden is open all workdays and holidays from the first Sunday of May to the last Sunday of June, from 9 am to 19 pm. For individual visitors and small groups of people it is not necessary to book the tour, the numerous groups must book by calling the number 366 2063941. Foundation Botanical Rose Garden 'Carla Fineschi'.Fondazione Roseto Botanico ‘Carla Fineschi’ collects more than 6,000 species and hybrids of roses from all around the world. It represents a unique private collection with the only goal to keep a scientific collection of living material.



• The Parish contains the first work of Masaccio, “Triptych of St Juvenal” (“Trittico di San Giovenale”). We recommend the visit of the museum dedicated to Masaccio, adjacent to the Parish.


• Museo d'Arte Sacra, Abbazia di Vallombrosa
Via San Benedetto 115  - Tel 055 862251

Visits are posible by reservation only.

• Here we can find garments, a selection of paintings, books and illuminated codes, artifacts such as pottery or old missals, and finally the collection for which the Abbey is rightly famous, an important series of “scagliole”. Then there is the large altar piece which depicts the Madonna with the Child and four Saints by Domenico Ghirlandaio. For further information: